Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Permission

"Give yourself permission to follow the path that makes you happy."

I was talking to someone today...someone who is very special to me.  He has affected such a change in my life and I know my life would never be the same if he were no longer in it.

A lot of things are happening in his life that he sometimes feels like he has no control over...things I will not go into.  He and I have a relationship that is, for me, so unique and so wonderful that I tend to forget that he has all of this crap happening to him.  Sometimes when we talk we get into things that we normally don't...today was one of those days.

We were talking about how someone in his life said he needs to let go sometimes...and for a second I agreed with that assertion.  But then I had to retract that because that's not what I feel he really needs to do.  Circumstances in his life have him where he isn't happy and I hurt for him for that.  My advice to him today was to give himself permission to do what he needs to do to solve these things in his life in a way that will make him happy...even if it means that the people around him are unhappy about his decision.  He said no one ever said it to him that way.  He had never realized that he hasn't given himself permission to be happy.

I have perspective that I thought would help him since I feel like that's what my ex-husband did when he asked me for a divorce.  He decided he wasn't happy and gave himself permission to do what would make him happy.  Did I like it?  No.  Did his family like it?  Not really.  Did the kids understand and agree with him?  Not. At. All.  But he did it because he felt it would make him happy.  He gave himself permission to be happy.  Is he?  I don't know and really don't care.  But I know that I want this man in my life to be as happy as he can possibly be...so I need him to give himself permission to be happy.

Is there something in your life that you need to give yourself permission to do?  Do it.  There's no way in this world to ever keep everyone around you happy so why do you need to stay miserable?  Give yourself permission to be happy.

"There will always be a reason why you meet people; either you need them to change your life or you're the one who will change theirs."

1 comment:

  1. This is always good advice...and for me, it's about worrying too much if everyone around me is happy and putting my feelings dead last.

    ReplyDelete