Saturday, October 5, 2013

Apathy

Apathy (n): lack of feeling or emotion; lack of interest or concern

I live in a neighborhood that by all accounts is a wonderful place to live. We have this awesome pool and the playground you can see in the background.  We have a covered basketball court and two tennis courts.  We decorate for Christmas and we have bi-annual garage sales that draw people from everywhere.  Sunday afternoon volleyball is a pass-time that can't be rivaled.  

The problem with my neighborhood is apathy.  We are a homeowners association that runs on dues.  Our dues are $240 a year.  Not a month...a year.  That money keeps the pool looking nice and the grass cut and the electricity on.  As homeowners, we are all keepers of the neighborhood.  We all have a stake in it's upkeep and it's total well-being.  So why the apathy?

Some say it is the attitude of those who work hard year end and year out to keep things running.  Reminding people (adults) to empty a trash can that is overflowing or reminding them not to leave trash laying around or to not bring glass inside the pool area is seen as "fussing" and is an excuse as to why people have decided not to help out.  That is a load of crap.  There's no apathy when the pool isn't open on time or, God forbid, the chemicals get out of whack and people want to complain.  They care then.  So why not care all the time?  You don't like me?  So what....I may not like you that much either...but I will be polite and thank you profusely for helping out.  I will smile at you and I will get along as long as it takes to do a job that benefits the neighborhood....because I care.  

If you don't care, just say so.  Don't blame your lack of concern on me.  Most people know one thing about me that is probably detrimental to me at times....I like to please people, sometimes a little too much.  I was so concerned about whether or not my ex-husband was going to be happy about how I did things that I lost my way and was very unhappy myself for a very long time.  Still to this day I worry about whether or not he's going to be okay with things I do and we have been divorced for three years.  It's an inherent flaw in my personality.  

Why can't people just get past their personal grievances and work together for the good of those around them?  It goes way past my neighborhood...just look here locally at the school board....and nationally, just look at the nonsense going on in Washington.  It's a shame that people can't come together when necessary and just get past it for an hour.  Once you get past that hour, then go on to the next.  It's pretty easy.  

It's also pretty cowardly to constantly shame people on social networks.  It blows my mind how one person can make a comment, but even a particular person agreeing with him gets them blasted.  Speak to me in person if you have a problem with me.  Otherwise, put away the apathy and find the sympathy.  Care.  Work together.  Do it despite your feelings.  Believe me, it will make you all he better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment