Tuesday, September 17, 2013

My Return to Blogging

It has been a while since I have blogged.  I felt that most people I knew were migrating to Facebook so that's where I should be - so that's where I have been.  But I think it is now time to return to blogging, and here's why.

Last night a classmate of mine observed that although I seemed to be passionate about what I was saying, sometimes it was hard to discern exactly what my thoughts were about...where was the frame of reference for what I was saying?  I get this...sometimes a post comes up on Facebook and unless you have specifically read the article or the previous post that was referenced you are lost as to why this person is saying this thing.  I get it.  Add to that the fact that facebook is so static that sometimes you have to go back what seems like forever to find what the post refers to...and then while do that Facebook refreshes and you have lost what you were trying to understand.  It gets confusing.

Blogging allows us to fully develop thoughts in a way that readers can get the entire grasp of what we are saying.  We have more room for thoughts to be spelled out and for references to be made without them getting lost in the shuffle.  So here I am, back to the blog where it all started six years ago.

When I started blogging it was purely for my own personal reflections.  I posted pictures of my kids and talked about their accomplishments.  In that I posted personal commentary on current events and political issues that are important to me, but mostly kept it family oriented.  This worked for a while.  I look at that blog and remember how I was blogging daily, sometimes several times a day; but then I found Facebook and all of that changed.  I migrated with the crowd and found myself totally intrigued by the constant updates and just everything people decided to share.  So much has changed since I first started blogging.

Back then, Facebook was still for the college set.  If you were not on one of the college campuses, you really didn't use Facebook.  Blogs were for the stay-at-home-moms and professionals who had something to say and wanted others to read it.  It was our way of communicating and coming together before Facebook.  Back then no one knew what a tweet was, and Instagram and Pinterest hadn't even been though of yet.  We are so much further along now than we were just a mere six years ago.

So why am I coming back to blogging?  Well, because I feel I have something to say and I want to share it in a way that is more informative and has a frame of reference that can be understood.  I want to talk politics and grammar and all of those things I comment on when on Facebook but I want to do it in a more open way.  I want you all to join in the discussion.  I want you to become more informed by the discussion.  I want to spark dialogue that is rational and provocative without being hateful.  If you want to participate, you are welcome to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment